Why the Model Works
- The economics of traditional publishing limits the titles that can be published through existing publishing houses.
- The process is long (12-24 months), and the author gives up significant editorial control in most cases.
- For readers, they have to read what the traditional houses guess or hope they will like; they have no voice in what books should be published.
- For publishers, each new title presents substantial financial risk. And the more consolidated retail book outlets become, the tougher it is for them to take risks on new authors.
- For retailers, shelf space is limited and expensive; too many titles fail to sell.
- The alternative is self-publishing, which has exploded. But it’s hard to be discovered amid all of the independent titles.
- Also, many authors, though good writers, lack the technical and marketing experience to give their book the greatest chance of success.
- P.O.D. production and fulfillment model reduces upfront investment per title, eliminates overhead for warehouses and staff to fulfill orders.
- Beginning-to-end support for every step of the publishing business allows publishers to focus primarily on the creative components of their business.
- Shortened timelines from concept to product delivery allows topics to be more timely and relevant to present cultural context.
- The “Pretail” model allows publishers the opportunity to earn back their investment before the book even goes to print.
- The combination of reduced initial costs per title and options to crowdfund prospective titles allows publishers to be broader and more experimental in their author and title choices.
- We help authors develop not only their book concepts, but also their overall author brand and platform.
- Platform building, author coaching and e-commerce solutions are bundled together help authors grow their platforms and subsequently increase sales volume.
- We connect authors and readers at the beginning of the publishing cycle, helping give readers what they want, and helping authors produce better books.
- Books that meet their initial goals pay for themselves, and they demonstrate viability to traditional publishers and retailers.
- We have sales, marketing, editorial, design and distribution resources comparable to big traditional publishing houses.
- An automated tracking and reporting system will handle returns and can be managed directly by an author or publisher.